Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Keep it Simple



Our community is now without a bookstore.
I feel dumber already.
Browsing through the titles, sitting down on the floor in front of the shelf with the intent of leafing through a book only to be there hours later, completely engrossed in it. The conversations with strangers, the coffee that tries to be good, the cookies that look good but are not(but we occasionally buy them anyway), the recommendations the guy at the cash register always offers. Where will I get all that now? Where will my whole community get all that? It is so much more than it appears. This will force me to start using the Library again. And I am sure I will have more money in my pocket since I won't be buying, just borrowing. But it just won't be the same. I can't talk in a normal voice and truthfully, the Librarian here isn't so nice. And they don't allow food and beverages...unless you are a toddler attending story hour.

So in my yearning for what was, I soothe myself temporarily by making jewelry. I decided to keep it simple. As simple as opening a book.

5 comments:

windrock studio said...

Christine, such a gorgeous piece! love those colors. I sure wish so many things would just stop changing, it makes me dizzy, there's not much that hasn't been affected. It's sad to lose another bookshop, hopefully your library will stay open and you'll love it like I do mine.
Keep having fun!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love that necklace the color combo is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love your necklace, Christine it is so beautiful... maybe your story could get picked up by the local paper or radio station... wouldn't this be a fantastic time to start a used book store/coffee shop?
Hope so!
Take care,
Lisa

CraftyHope said...

I totally feel for you. I'm a bookstore junkie myself also.
Your necklace however, is gorgeous!

Christine Altmiller said...

thanx ladies! i am back to turquoise after wrongly leaving it behind for a few years. only now, instead of always pairing it with tigers eye, i am going BOLD. as for the book store--the 3rd one to close in 6 months. so sad. i have so many books, i could go 10 years without needing to buy one...but that's just crazy talk!!!