Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

{Rolling Blog Hop Challenge} Maryanne of Zingala's Workshop


A short while back, I asked some creative and inspiring women if they would like to participate in a loose kind of blog hop.  Instead of everyone posting on the same day, we will post as we get our projects done, with an end of November deadline.  I send them each a package containing vintage wooden spools like you see on the upper left of the blog (badge compliments of Hope's wonderful photography and Janet's tweaking...thanks ladies~it looks great!).  I found them while antiquing in NJ.



I was thrilled when Maryanne said yes to this challenge.  Not only does she make beautiful jewelry, but she creates art with fibers and paper and other items.  So there was really no telling what she would do with the spools.  So exciting!
Here is what she did:



I am surprised in the best of ways!  Don't you just LOVE the minimalist look, the absolute appropriate saying, the color, the dimension, and the texture?!  I know I do!!!  So much goodness going on in a seemingly simple piece.
To see some closeups and the description of Maryanne's process in making this piece, click on her highlighted name.


It seems as though Maryanne has always been in my blog comments.  I cannot remember the precise moment I realized we were followers of each other.  Therese probably had a hand in it, though.  But Maryanne is always there with a kind word, a friendly e-mail, an array of art to show us all at Zingala's Workshop.  Beads, wire, metal, fibers, paper, paints, cut outs, tags, jewelry, books, ornaments~she does it all!  Bead needles, pliers, knitting needles, paintbrushes, scissors...the work space must be full of useful tools and fun ideas! A lot of it is foreign to me, but I think that is good~I can get lost in the beauty without trying to figure out the technicalities. That is for Maryanne to figure out.  And thankfully, she likes doing just that!


Here are some examples of Maryanne's work...Enjoy!


Loom work

Maryanne took a class with Erin Simonetti and made this unbelievably GORgeous amulet bag.  Look at that Fringe!  Look at that smocking!  Click on the words above and look at the backside!
Maryanne tells me there is another loom project in the works.  Cannot wait!











(photo from Zingala's Workshop Blog)








Witch's Brew


Those bottles!  The spill rings and the bottles make this piece dimensional and intriguing...almost more intriguing that what lies within the pages of that book.  The process of how this came to be reads like a foreign language to me but you might know about all the art supplies Maryanne describes as she tells the process of bringing this work to life.





(photo from Zingala's Workshop Blog)







Maryanne's Metal Cuff

In this post from 2012, she says this is her first metal cuff...I sure hope there have been more!  Lovin' this style.  What great texture and touches of sparkle!







(photo from Zingala's Workshop Blog)







Little Book


Maryanne made this little book, with a littler book attached, for her daughter who is a librarian.  That tiny metal book has pages!  Click on the link to see the inside of this sweet book!






(photo from Zingala's Workshop Blog)







Knitted matching cuffs

Everyone needs a pair of these cuffs!  Just looking at them gives a warm and comforting feeling.  Love the style and the width of these.








(photo from Zingala's Workshop Blog)



Thank you Maryanne, for sharing your beautiful artistry with us all and for being a warm, positive presence in my little world :-)  And for doing this Hop without knowing what you might be getting into.  You done good...I  knew you would!

9 comments:

Maryanne said...

Christine, thank you from the bottom of my heart for the kind words. I can't tell you how much they mean to me! When I saw the spools I knew immediately I wanted to feature one on a canvas. I'm definitely NOT a minimalist, but I wanted to spool to shine. This idea of a recess seemed perfect to me. Thank you for being part of my circle of blog friends. I so appreciate you! (Oh, and the worktable usually looks like a bomb struck it. LOL)!!!!

Therese's Treasures said...

Maryanne is as wonderful in person as she is on the blogs. You did a great job of showcasing her talent. I was lucky to get to see that copper cuff in person she was wearing it the day I met her and Amy at Bead Soup in Savage Mill, MD
and it is gorgeous.
Therese

Honey from the Bee said...

Wow- Maryanne is a wonderful talent! Thank you for introducing her to me, Christine. I love the multi-media works she is doing. That Witches Brew piece is really delightful. She seems to be one right up my alley - loves to learn and try new things. She takes it seriously too as one can see in the quality.

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh my! the depth of Maryanne's range is stunning! from knitting, to metal smything, to bead embroidery to art? Wow, just wow! And I do so love what she did with the spool. Seriously, that should hang in a gallery

Shai Williams said...

Talk about talent! What a wide range of skill sets.

Liz said...

Yet another example of how you bring the best out in people Christine :-)

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

Isn't M aryanne's work awesome! I just love how she used a matchbox to showcase the spool! i so enjoy reading her blog as i never know what medium she may share, but it is always beautifully creative,

Amy S. said...

OMG - I love her!!! I think her spool creation is perfect!

LisaS said...

Amazing to see her use of a spool! And so much variety in her work!