Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

UnFinished Objects Blog Hop

I was looking forward to this Hop, for so many reasons ~
   : I haven't participated in a Hop in 14 months
   : it would bring me back to my blog and to other people's blogs
   : it is a Karen Williams Hop
   : I thought I had SO many UFOs...but it turns out, I had a drawer and a few boxes full of botched stitch              samples OR a pile of pieces that only needed clasps.  There were a few actual UFOs and some were                 finally finished and some are next up on the beading table.

So here I am, the day before the Hop, trying to get my crap together with photos.  My daughter and I have whatever crud is knocking people out of commission lately and the 2" of snow that was predicted for today turned into 10".  I did not venture out into the workshop to adorn Fleur with necklaces to photograph them.  Instead, I dragged my sick butt into the window seat and took pictures on the backside of a game board.  Sorry about that, but it was all I could muster.  I did manage to take a selfie because that one necklace really did need a real neck to display it.  That was the only moment I felt human today.

First Up, cabs sent to me from Jasvanti ~ the incarnations they went through, what they finally became :
                                                                                                                                                             


The left photo is from last March...a bracelet that seemed good in my head, not so good in execution.  It sat on the bead table for several months, was cut apart and turned into earrings.  The earrings were a total bust.  Then I made what you see on the right ~ a beaded chain, some beaded cabs, a pretty component that is either a shoe clip or scarf clip.   It sat in a box for months...until Karen put out the call to F our Os.



To finish it, I made more of the square stitch chain with delicas and size 15 rounds, added a lot of garnets and clipped that clip right in the center.  Check out the photo below ~ I found that interesting.







The next project was one Cynthia and I started and I never finished.  I asked her to teach me how to better fringe.  She gave me this gorgeous leather round with a compass stamp on it and the teardrops on the ends.  All it needed was a chain and I couldn't fully commit to what kind it would be.  The UFO Hop pushed me to finish a chain idea I had.  These crystal rondelles were the right color and size but I wanted them to seem like an old dug up treasure.  So I dulled their shine by filing off a lot of the finish.  Voila! I LOVE THIS NECKLACE and will photograph it again when I can easily and happily get to the workshop and hang it on Fleur.  It deserves a better showing.  I thought about another selfie, but that would have required a bra.  Sickness = NO BRA.  Not even for jewelry display.





Next up : beaded chenille stitch beads.  They have been sitting in an Altoid can for a couple years or more.


For the one on the left, I added matte hematite and garnet beads.  The one on the right got chunky glass beads.  They both got my Gram's buttons.  








Two or so years ago, Cynthia helped me practice bead embroidery around a cab...not my favorite thing to do.  This cab sat in a tin box for the two years.


 Last week, I beaded a garnet and picasso bead chain for it and made a peyote panel to sew it onto.  I finished it off with Gram's button.  I am pleased with this little sweetie!





I am going to stop now.  And take a nap.


Thanks for the push to clear out some projects, Karen...we needed it!

Here's the UFO Blog Hop List ~ Please take a look at what they have finished!

Karen Williams, Baublicious
Christine Van Dyke Altmiller, One Kiss Creations
Amy Severino, Amy Beads
Therese, Therese's Treasures
Kim Dworak, CianciBlue
Liz E, Bead Contagion
Margo Lynn Hablutzel, My World and It's Full of Books
Cynthia Machata, Antiquity Travelers
Cathi Salzarulo Kent, The Cat's Meow
Liz Hart, Treetop Life

9 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Christine,
First I want to say I hope you get to feeling well soon. Three projects finished that is awesome. The first necklace is gorgeous so Victorian looking. I love the necklace with the Compass and fringe, and the third is so your style I love how you show cased the garnet cab, beautiful.
Therese

Karen Williams said...

You go so much done! Even when you're sick, you make me feel like a week punk. :)

I really like all of your finished designs - that first necklace in particular, and the finished cab necklace that made me think of amulet bags. Thanks for joining in - I know this hop definitely helped keep me stitching (even if I didn't accomplish nearly as much)

Stay warm! And hope you get to feeling better soon.

Liz said...

Hi Christine,

You made me laugh, a few times. "The call to F our Os" and "sickness = no bra" both had me giggling! Definitely want to see a picture of the leather round compass stamp focal piece on a model, be it you or Fleur. The fringe and strap look perfect. You have passed Cynthia's advanced fringe school with high honors.

I thought your comment on feeling human was so interesting. Adorning yourself with a gorgeous necklace, and taking a moment of calm to photograph it, created a sense of wellness (if only for a minute). That is magic! And that is exactly how so much of your stuff effects me. A conduit to a better place, always a step in the right direction. You took on a lot of pieces, and gave them all the One Kiss feel!

I hope you feel better quickly, and this post renews your relationship with your blog. Obviously you have been beading up a storm, make sure to photograph those babies and let us in on it.

Liz

Anonymous said...

Wow! You managed to accomplish a lot. And I'm impressed that you managed to get stuff photographed while feeling icky. I hope you are on the mend soon.

I hadn't considered making beaded beads out of chenille stitch. That's a great idea.

--Francie

Cat said...

All beautiful pieces! Glad you were inspired to finish them.

AntiquityTravelers said...

I wanted to wait until I was home so I could spend time looking through all these pieces you've been beading! I know that first one, and I love how it was reimagined here!! I know how much you struggled with this one, but this version looks like it just fell into place naturally. It is elegant and could so easily be worn out on the town no matter the outfit!

That compass .... you got just the right balance with the strap. Your fringe has such nice weight and swing to it and feels wonderful in the hand - I LOVE this one

Flying missiles! really nice, wearable bracelets. I bet this feels wonderful around the wrist! Oh and the bead bezel .... perfectly done. And topped with a bit of Gram :)

Hope you and Lanie are feeling better soon ... absolutely no fun slogging around with no energy. But wow did you rally for this hop. Holy moly

Amy S. said...

Christine!!! I'm so sorry you are sick. Sounds like our house a few weeks ago and it wasn't fun - and it seemed like FOREVER before any of us felt well! But in any case, Im super impressed with all your finished items!! That necklace is freaking gorgeous (and um....so is your neck, lady!!!!) I LOVE that you used your Gram's buttons on those bracelets. The fringed piece - gotta love fringe. It's so time consuming, but the result is so pretty and touchable! I totally get you on the no-bra attitude! ;) I hope you and Lanie feel better soon.

Kim said...

I hope you feel better!! I had that about a month ago and it was horrible. I love that necklace, it is beautiful!! And I love the idea of the chenille stitch beads, and they look great in the bracelet. Maybe I wouldn't get bored with the smaller pieces and have it sit in my drawer for 2 years. Lovely pieces and I love your Gram's buttons.

CraftyHope said...

Oh, here's hoping the ick has passed you by and you are up and at it again! However, the amount you accomplished is still very impressive. I love the layers in that first necklace. But, the fringe in that second one is so great. And the fact that you sanded off the finish in those beads. . .I love that!