Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Time To Stitch 4 : Blog Hop

Therese and I thank you all for being a part of this hop~whether you are an admirer of the work, a participant, or someone who suggested a stitch...we get to do another A Time To Stitch Hop because of You!
Aside from compiling the list, we were very hands off with this hop.  Freedom with beads is a wonderful thing! Thanks for making it a breeze :-)

The stitches for this hop are Netting, Chenille, Chevron, and Spiral Rope.  We all had to do Netting and then pick at least one other stitch.  I know Chevron fairly well, so I picked Chenille.  I LOVE IT!!!  It makes a nice rope and it makes for nice beaded beads (which will show up in future projects).

Here is a photo of a Chevron Bracelet I did a few years ago:


Size 11 and size 15 seed beads, Swarovski flowers, red drops.


















Here is my first Chenille Bracelet...there will be many many more in the future:


Size 15 seed beads, copper and sterling toggle, leather compliments of Cynthia, copper wire with size 11 seed beads.















And my Netting Necklace:




Size 11 and size 15 seeds beads, druks, a button clasp,  and a Manhattan Schist Rock from Monmouth Beach, NJ (it has a lovely sparkle which doesn't show up on camera...nothing shows up on camera today...gloomy, rainy, blah).  Oh, and a zigzag weave chain.
                                                                                                     
I wore this out a few times and people were asking to touch it~Love it when that happens :-)
                                                       
When I set out to learn netting, my intent was to make a full netted collar necklace.  It took 13 hours of screwing up to come up with this tiny panel.  I decided to embellish the panel and make the zig zag chain.  I took a few ceramic cabs and did netting around them, but once I laid them on the panel they didn't look right.  Then my head went where it always goes : how about a rock?!  I recently purchased a Black Brazilian Kyanite. I rarely purchase rocks but we needed each other.  It is really cool and edgy and I thought a pocket with this wild rock jumping out was just what this dainty white net panel needed.  Well, the kyanite would not stay in the pocket so I scrapped the pocket and made all sorts of beaded straps to hold it down.  It looked like Beadweaving Bondage...a little TOO edgy.  So I gave up on the kyanite and looked through my free rock stash and came up with this Manhattan Schist...which obeyed right from the start ;-)  






Here is the list of all the Lovely Weavers you need to go visit today...I am really eager to visit them and see what they did~surely it is fabulous.
Thanks Ladies~you always make these hops a pleasure.  And Thank You Therese~you are always a wonderful partner. 


28 comments:

Amy S. said...

Oh my goodness!! I LOOOOOOOOOOVE what you did with the rock in a pocket!!!! That's fantastico!
I love your bracelet too!!! Thank you for hosting this event again. It's fun every time!!

Maryanne said...

This is just too COOL!!! I love that little pocket with the rock in it!! You are sooooo clever! I like your chenille bracelet too, by the way! Thanks for hosting this hop again.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Christine,
First let me say thank you so very much for being my partner in ATTS it is always a pleasure working with you and bouncing ideas off of you. Now on to your pieces, they are gorgeous and so you. I can not believe you used 15's in the Chenille stitch it was took long enough with 11's. Beautiful and unique netted necklace love the pocket rock! Looking forward to ATTS5
Love ya,
Therese

kimmykats said...

Laughing....I too have many starts that just didn't make the cut so they have been abandoned! Love your work and thank you so much for making me learn and challenge myself....love love this internet!

Tanya said...

Wow .. that netted pendant is so awesome! I love the little pocket -- it's a great idea. I also love the bracelets. The embellishment on the chevron one is perfect.

Thank you for hosting. I always have so much fun on these hops. Everyone creates such amazing things.

Becky Pancake said...

Beautiful pieces Christine. I like your rocks. The netted necklace is really unique.Thanx for hosting the fun challenge.

Honey from the Bee said...

Rock in a pocket - genius! Love that. I can see how a natural stone would cooperate with its indentations and odd shape. So cool and definitely get the taming of a wild thing! lol!

Thank you so much for including me in the hop - loved it!

Kepi said...

The rock pocket is so cute, so unique - love it. And I agree the chenile is a great stitch - love the bracelet!

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Christine, I am in love with that "rock pocket", and still laughing over the "bead bondage" (hope you took some pics *TeeHee*)

Unknown said...

I really, really wanted to create a piece with the chenille stitch too, and even more so after seeing that beauty! Love how you created that little 'pocket' for the stone. You are always so creative!

SueBeads said...

Love your sense of humor! Interesting use of the rock, I love it! All your pieces are really great!

Pepita said...

What a unique piece your rock necklace!!It really rocks!!! (lol)
And I love your bracelet - the leather inclusion makesit perfect.
Thank you very much for hosting this event, I'm having fun every time and can't wait for the next one!
Alenka

Jasvanti said...

I love the little pocket, that is amazing!!
Thank you so much for letting me participate on this hop.
I had a fantastic time.

ACBeads said...

Christine, thank you so much for hosting this challenge. I've been enjoy this blog hop so much. Your pieces are fun and casual. I love the chenille bracelet with its leather wrap and the netted necklace with the pocket for the rock. As you seem to have a penchant for rock, I include a link to a short video about some Portuguese villages where houses are made with schist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rHJKPhMnTs) Enjoy.

Bobbie said...

Oh, my gosh, I LOVE that necklace! I was going to say something about a pocket rock-it, but that seemed, um, wrong. Until I saw your comment about beaded bondage...Your creativity on this one was really over the top and fabulous!

AntiquityTravelers said...

I really love that chevron bracelet - what a great idea to use drops and the flowers down the middle! So much fun going on with this pattern!!

And wow I love that chenille bracelet with that leather and ooooh the copper to wrap it! FANTASTIC! I'm going to have to try that - what a great look! We had similar ideas making a focal to our chenilles :)

And then the necklace - that is CHRISTINE! It has a perfect pouch for the rock - how cool is this? I would want to touch it too - ha! This is so inventive, and just awesome! Who knew netting could be so fun!

Thank you both so much for hosting and continuing to host this hop. I keep learning, and to me that is a fantastic thing!

Alicia said...

Oh, Christine, beautiful, just beautiful!! I love what you did with your net - such a neat (lol) idea, very unique; you know how much I love mixing - that is not only clever, it's simply perfect! And that bracelet - you make me want to try the other 2 stitches :)
Thanks for hosting this event, I love participating!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Wow - love the colors in your bracelet. And your netted neck pouch is so original and fun. It's lost like a variation on an amulet necklace. Really unique! Thanks for hosting the stitch-a-thin. It was a great way to kick off the year!

Liz said...

Sooooooo what I'm getting from your post . . . rocks are just like men. Some are sexy bad boys that you can't help but want to try out (like the black Brazilian kyanite), and some perhaps are a little worn around the edges, perhaps just a tad less flashy, but work much better in the end . . .

Anyway, before I digress further, the black, white and red chevron bracelet is somehow both serious and whimsical at the same time. I'm not sure how you managed that.

The chenille bracelet is F U N. Great to plan an outfit around the bracelet.

Of course you know I love your netting/pocket rock adventure!

Kokopelli said...

Beautiful pieces! Especially the netted rock! So unique. You've all been so busy. And thanks for Hosting this challenge, Christine! I'll be in for ATTS5. :)

Karen Williams said...

Hah! Thanks for making me smile with your stories - bead weaving bondage! :)

Love the little pocket for your rock, it made the necklace uniquely, wonderfully yours. I'm not surprised you get people coming up to look at it as it's truly lovely.

Karin Slaton said...

Really cool focal on your chenille bracelet! And I had the same thought as Paula when I saw your necklace - a really original take on an amulet design! The netting and zig-zag stitch combination is going down on my list of Things I Want to Explore!

Bits of Learning said...

Christine, the little pocket is GREAT! And I have to say that the way you added the leather component to the chenille bracelet is FANTASTIC!
Thank you so much for co hosting the challenge, these challenges are always so inspiring!

Nelly May said...

Thank you so much for hosting this hop - it has been such fun from start to finish.
I so want to steal your rock-pocket design. It is so very different and beautifully made.

Miss Val's Creations said...

The Chenille bracelet is awesome. I love the leather and copper wrapped as a focal point. And that rock wrapped? So cool! It looks like a perfect pocket to carry the rock. The netting is beautiful too. I don't know how you ladies do it. I wish I had the patience to weave. :)

LisaS said...

Gorgeous beading! I do love your netting around that rock...beautiful one of a kind necklace ;)

Wendy said...

such beautiful work!

Assignment Help said...

We at Ornate gives you a premium range of star earrings at an affordable price. Our premium range of star earrings will look great on any occasion. Get it here online.